Worlwide Local Calls: PhoneGnome and GTalk2Voip (Cost: Free)
Signing Up with PhoneGnome
1. Go to www.PhoneGnome.com
2. Sign Up for an account:
3. The Countries with which it will work are these:
US/Canada, Portugal, Argentina, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom.
Moscow and Saint Petersburg, Russia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Seoul, South Korea
Monterrey, Guadalajara, Mexico City, Puebla, Mexico
Mobile numbers are excluded except in US(excludes Alaska and Hawaii), Canada, and Singapore.
4. If you get the following screens , you need to find a PROXY in the country for which you are registering a number:
5. See here for a PROXY: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/type-01.htm
6. Assuming you got through all that, PhoneGnome will sent you an email with a link. Click on the link and follow the instructions to complete the verification (they'll call you and you have to enter a pin code).
7. Now Log In at PhoneGnome
8.On the HomePage make note of the following (copied exactly):
9.Under Features Activate SoftGnome Remote Access:
10. Now Click on Edit and set things as follows:
11. Now Click on View Sip Credentials (you'll need this info so save it somewhere, along with the stuff from the HomePage):
12. Now Click on Call Analysis then Placed Calls, and keep this page open, you may need it later:
Setting up with GTalk2Voip
1. Go to www.GTalk2Voip.com
2. Enter your email in their home page, and the IM you use (Gmail account with GoogleTalk, Hotmail with MSN, try to avoid other mixes).
If you want to use this strictly to receive calls on Cell/Landline, use an email you don't usually use to chat.
3. Log in into your IM, something along the line of firstname.lastname@example.org will have added you as a friend, accept and open a convo:
4. Sent the Command MYPAGE and click on the link that it sends you, you'll get here eventually:
5. Click on define own SIP providers:
6. Go back by clicking on Home, then Define Your Dialing Plan:
7. Go back by clicking Home, then Define your Follow Me Number or SIP URI
In here enter your number that's registered with PhoneGnome:
In US/Canada: 1+ Number should work
Elsewhere: First try the number entered like someone from your own country would to call you
Then try the Number on its own as it appears in PhoneGnome (no country code)
Then try Country Code + Number as in PhoneGnome
8. Go Back by clicking Home and make sure this looks as it should:
Make note of your SipBroker ID
Make sure your codec is set to G711
9. Do not close the above page, but sign out your IM.
10. Try: SipBroker Access Number then *018 -12345 (replace 12345 with your number as shown above)
(If you want someone to call via SIP URI, give them *email@example.com (replace 12345 with your number of course)
11. If your phone Rings, all is well, if it doesn't:
Remember that last page from the PhoneGnome account we said we would keep open, go and refresh after you have made some calls and its not working. It should show you what it is trying to dial...., then change the number as needed in GTalk2Voip under Follow me number, until it hopefully works.
12. SideNote: Compared to the VoXalot workaround, the voice quality is not as good, but fair.
There is another annoyance: When someone calls they hear: Ring-Ring-Ring-Ring-Ring (different from 1st four)-Nothing, it is during this nothing that your phone actually starts ringing (or at least it was for me).
13. About being able to add TPad to this as well. For those that read the previous guide for VoXalot, theoretically one could add TPad and tick the register box in GTalk2Voip as well, but I have had no success doing this (In fact when I tried I think I got this message from TPad, unless I wasn't feeling well: "Sorry, weasels have eaten our Phone System", then it hangs up)